Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to convert an Access 2007 application to Access 2016 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eutychus

Programmer
Nov 14, 2007
US
I have an Access application developed in Access 2007. I want to convert it to Access 2016. I know I can open it in Access 2016, but when I run SysCmd(acSysCmdAccessVer) or CurrentProject.FileFormat, it still shows as Access 2007. I want to convert it to Access 2016. When I do a "Save As" the version still shows as Access 2007. I seem to recall seeing a function or method or something that would do this but all my searching has turned up nothing. I have not tried creating a new database and then importing all the objects. I was hoping there might be another (simpler) way. Any help is much appreciated!

>I know I can open it in Access 2016

try importing it instead of opening it.

Okay, I understand there is no AcFileFormat created by Microsoft beyond acFileFormatAccess2007; nevertheless, the version of Access itself, like Access 2016, can have features that do not exist in Access 2007. These new features can cause Access 2007 to be unable to open an application developed in Access 2016. Likewise, an application developed in Access 2007 may have features that have been deprecated and unavailable in Access 2016 (e.g., Pivot Charts and Tables). These removed features can cause problems when trying to run a A2007 app in A2016. I am looking for a "conversion" program/routine/function that will take an application developed in Access 2007 and "convert" any deprecated or modified features so that the app executes properly in Access 2016 or that will flag any removed/modified features that exist in the app. The older Access conversion routines used to do that (though not perfectly). I know if such a "conversion" program exists, it won't be able to convert every removed feature (like Pivot Tables and Charts), but hopefully it will be able to convert most of them. So, does Access 2016 have such a feature? Or, are we left to just try the app developed in A2007 and see if it runs okay in A2016? I hope I'm being clear.
Thank you!

I think once you import everything into a file as strongm suggests, most of your problems that passed import will turn up when you compile your code. And while I have not used 2016 much, you kind of are left to just try things out... Or look for the deprecated features directly. In the case of Pivot Charts and Tables, I do not think they replaced it with anything... The direction is to use Excel for that functionality. Off the top of my head that is the one feature one may be likely to miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back