Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

adasoft

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
IN
Hi,

I am having a machine having SQL Server installed with two IP Addresses.One is local and other is global.My network has a router which routes the connection recieved on global IP to the local IP. If I connect from a machine of my network to the SQL Server by giving local IP Address, then it works fine. But when I connect it by giving global IP Address then it fails.Can anyone help me, how can I solve this problem?

Its urgent.
Thanx in advance

This sounds less like a server issue and more like a routing issue. When you say "global" and "local" I assume you mean "public" and "private/internal/LAN" IP?
The first couple things to come to mind, can you ping the external IP at all from the client machines? If yes, do you know if there is a firewall inbetween the router and server that could be blocking ports? Is your network using NAT? If so, then the router had to have been configured to forward port 3306 to the SQL server's internal IP address.
This could get complicated pretty fast, depending on the structure of the network.

________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back