Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect vista machine to win98se machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAceMan1

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Howdy All . . .

Have a brand new vista machine. I need to connect to the old machine (win98 second edition) so I can download important files (its alot of stuff). There's no server, just the two machines!. [blue]How can I accomplish this?[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997
Also faq181-2886

You can't! (not via a network anyway). So best option would be to connect the 98 machine's drive to the Vista machine (I'm assuming it has at least one IDE connector), and do the copy directly.

If it is a one off transfer from 98se to Vista then maybe using a flash drive or something similar would be easier than battling networking Vista with an old 9x machine, which Vista was never seriously designed to do.

The password you supplied is incorrect. Try again
thread1583-1486755

Vista and Windows ME

If both machines have NIC's and using a CAT5 crossover I would have thought it would be possible to 'network' them.

In fact I am sure that The Vista machines we have looked at here have been able to 'see' the (one remaining) 98SE machine on our workgroup.

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back