Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect "two parallel port" printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBandit

Programmer
Dec 9, 1999
US
With one parallel port and two USB ports on one's cpu, how does one connect two printers(an HP LaserJet 1100a and Canon BJC-6000) which each have parallel port connections? <br>
<br>
My first plan of attack was:<br>
<br>
a.) connect the HP printer to the cpu parallel port.<br>
b.) connect the Canon BJC-6000 printer to a USB port using a Belkin &quot;USB parallel printer adapter&quot;.<br>
<br>
Problem: The Belkin &quot;USB parallel printer adapter&quot; is documented to have problems with the Canon BJC-6000 printer (per the Belkin webpage).<br>
<br>
Second Plan of attack was:<br>
<br>
a.) connect the HP printer to the USB port using a &quot;USB parallel printer adapter&quot;.<br>
b.) connect the Canon BJC-6000 printer to the cpu parallel port.<br>
<br>
Problem: The Belkin &quot;USB parallel printer adapter&quot; is documented to not work with &quot;multi-function&quot; printers such as the HP LaserJet 1100a (per the Belkin website).<br>
<br>
So, the questions:<br>
<br>
1.) Does anyone know of a &quot;USB parallel printer adapter&quot; which may work in this situation?<br>
<br>
2.) Is there a better means to make the connection between these printers and my cpu?<br>
<br>
In need of printer help.<br>
<br>
TheBandit

Couple ideas:<br>
1. Put in a second parallel port card in the machine and set it up as LPT2 - I have done this quite a few times and have had only a few minor problems.<br>
<br>
2. Get a printer sharing box. Its a switchbox that allows you to use 2 printers on one computer ----- actually scratch that one, HP recommends you don't use a laser printer on a switchbox.<br>
<br>
I personally have never dealt with any USB/parallel interfaces, so I could not answer that question for you....<br>
<br>
My suggestion would be to add a second printer - or another thought, are you on a network? If so you could set up one or both on the network, completely bypassing the printer ports on the PC.

you could always just get a printer switch box?<br>
either a cheap one which you manually 'switch' or an expensive one which does the switching for you.<br>
regards<br>
<br>
Jon<br>

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Hmmm... I've seen a printer switch box at Wal-Mart that would work great if you weren't using a laser printer.....if you'd like; I can put one together that'll be gentle enough as not to damage your Laser Printer (or cause it to recieve any abnormal input during the switching process.<br>
<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As a quick guestimate; I'll say I could probably make one for under $30; but if you really want to go the easy way....just use the cheap one from Wal-Mart & make sure you turn off both printers before you flip the switch (I think that'll work the best for you....better than if I went to the effort to make a &quot;smart&quot; one for you even) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I have used a printer sharing box on laser printers many times.Install a parallel cable from the pc to the local port on the sharing box.Install a cable from the sharing box to each printer and then you have access to either printer.
You can also use a A/B switch.You just have to turn the switch to either A or B to access either printer.

A printer switching box is nice, but you'd really want to just put in a second parallel port. They're not easy to come by new, I know of only a company called SIIG that still makes add-on parallel port cards. New from a retail store a PCI card runs about $30, and this way you don't have to hassle over flipping a switch each time you're changing printers. You might even be able to find one on eBay for cheap.

Although I have used a manual switchbox for more than 10 years on HP, there is no guarantee that newer HPs might not be more sensitive to transients during switching.
I would suggest a ISA parallel port card. There are several issues that arise using PCI parallel cards, where there are none using ISA. This is assuming that you have an ISA slot available. And you might need to over buy, getting an ATIO card and crippling the serial ports. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back