Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to connect to transbase database and learn data from table

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouradoualha

Programmer
Dec 16, 2008
TN
i have a database with transbase and i want to learn the information from table please help me

You have not given us enough information to help you.

What do you mean by "transbase" and "learn information from table?" Like what kind of information? Contents? Table structure? Or what?

mmerlinn

Poor people do not hire employees. If you soak the rich, who are you going to work for?

"We've found by experience that people who are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy at thinking and coding. Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding." - Eric Raymond

If this is the product you're talking about:
It looks like they don't make public their documentation, and connection information definitely needs to come from them.

If they provide an ODBC or OLEDB driver it'll be easy, but that information would have to come from them. It looks like they have a free version of the product, but you apparently have to sign up for access to documentation.

If there's an ODBC driver and what you're after is the structure of the database, that is, the list of tables and the fields in those tables, check out the SQLTables() and SQLColumns() functions.

Tamar

Not having any experience with that database system, I can only make a guess (like the others above have done).

If you do a Google Search ( here are some 'finds' that you could investigate.

If you get an ODBC driver and install it on your user's workstation, we might be able to assist you in using it within a VFP application.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

SORRY guys but my english is not very well.
perhaps, i have installed an cd from my supplier and it is works with "transbase database"
in the odbc drivers we find the driver.
with microsoft access i will connect and learn the information in the table by with VFP it doesn't work

in the odbc drivers we find the driver with microsoft access

If I understand you correctly, it is not very likely that the Microsoft Access ODBC driver will work with your Transbase database system.

If you have data already in a Transbase database that you need then I'd suggest that you get their specific ODBC driver - maybe the cd 'supplier' can get it for you.

However if you merely want to learn how to use an ODBC driver with an 'external' database system and your VFP, then I'd suggest that you use Microsoft SQL Server Express (free).

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

As far as I understand access to transbase works from Access. What do you do in Access, do you import tables from an ODBC source or link to an ODBC source?
In VFP you have to use SQLSTRINGCONNECT(connectionstring) or SQLCONNECT(DSNname), then SQLExec() and finally SQLDISCONNECT().

As Connectionstrings.com doesn't offer a connectionstring for transbase databases I suggest you start the ODBCAD32.exe and create a DSN to use with VFP via SQLCONNECT().

You have to have a 32bit ODBC driver and use ODBCAD32.exe from SYSWOW64 in 64bit systems.

If there is no 32bit ODBC driver that's it. You won't be able to access data with VFP, then.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back