Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to connect to remote sql server database

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookouri

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2000
US
I have an IIS6 web server, and I have several pages that access oracle databases. For the first time I have to connect to a sql server database from this web server. To connect to oracle databases I have to install and configure the oracle client software. What do I have to install on my web server in order to make connections to a remote sql server database? All of the references I have found go through installing sqlserver on the machine itself, but I have to connect to a remote server that is already up and running. I cant find any references that tell me what components I need to install to accomplish that.

if somebody could point me in the right direction

You will most likely already have everything necessary to connect to a sql server instance already installed onto your windows server. You will just need to change the connection string to wherever the database is located and you should be good to go. Have you already had an attempt to conenct to it?

Mark,

Darlington Web Design[tab]|[tab]Experts, Information, Ideas & Knowledge[tab]|[tab]ASP.NET Tips & Tricks

I did try to create a connection. When I try to add the sqldatasource (im using web expressions) I can choose "microsoft sql server" connection type and it gives me a drop down where I should be able to browse the available sqlserver servers but no servers show up like they normally would. I tried manually entering the connect string but may not have it formatted correctly. My web server is a stand alone server and the database I need to get to is on a domain member server. Is there something special I have to do to connect since my web server is not a member of the domain?

Thanks, found the problem. My user had not been configured correctly on the sqlserver database. It wasn't my problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back