Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect RJ-45 to heavy gauge wire? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkerea

Technical User
Apr 7, 2011
US
Does anyone make an RJ45 that has terminal screws or similar for interfacing to a fairly heavy gauge wire?

I have a project where I want use CAT-5 runs and RJ-45 connectors, but the devices I want to connect to have 16 gauge stranded wire (negligible current though - I just need to check for the open/closed status of a dry contact relay in the device). The only RJ-45 connectors I can find (e.g. keystone jacks) are designed strictly around CAT-5 to CAT-5.

Telephony and data equipment not designed for that purpose should NOT be used for a purpose NOT intended!!

....JIM....

Why terminate a jack on the device using screw type terminals. Then terminate the Cat 5 with normal jack and patch between the two?

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Since you're not really using the cable for it's "cat 5" ability, simply use a screw strip to connect.

Since you don't need the bandwidth of cat5 you can terminate it anyway you choose. I have:

1. Used screw terminal "RJ45" wall type jacks and patch cords as previously suggested.

2. Cut or made a patch cord with a "RJ45" type plug on one end and connected the wires on the other end directly to terminals on the device I was using.

3. Solder the wires in (2. above) to flying leads from the device.

4. Used a screw type terminal strip to connect the wires in (3. above). This is very handy in development situations or where troubleshooting needs to be done since all signals are easy to access.

Be careful using telecom wiring in this way. Remember it is only 24 AWG designed for telecom and can't carry much current or voltage. Additionally voltage drop can a very real issue. Also be aware that carrying some signals in close proximity to voice or data can cause problems.

Thank you, the "SURFACE MOUNT JACK, 8P8CIntegrated 8P8C with screw down voice termination" should be perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, I don't see any way to "close" one of these postings. If there is, please let me know.

Thanks again,
parkerea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back