Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Connect Post Gres Database using ODBC Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSree

Programmer
Sep 8, 2005
US
Hi All,
I am trying to Develop Crystal Reports which needs to connect PostGres Database. So can any one please guide me about different Database connection options for PostGres from Crystal Server.Can I use ODBC Connection ? if Yes what are the Steps.

Thanks,
Sree.

Yes, you can use an ODBC connection.

Did you download a Postgres ODBC driver? If not, then download the psqlODBC driver and setup a DSN.

After you have downloaded and installed the driver, setup a DSN. Go to the Windows Control Panel and look for Administrative Options and then ODBC Administrator. You will need the host name or the IP address of the postgres database server, a valid user name, password, database name, etc.

Its pretty straight forward from there. Hope that helps.

Gary
gwinn7

Also...

You should talk with your database administrator and get any relevant information. The postgres database server may need to be configured slightly to accept your connection. Your admin may/may not need to know this.

Gary
gwinn7

CR XI cant seems to connect to postgresql 8.0.0. (i installed psqlodbc.exe). the connection is working for CR 8.5 but not CR XI. any help?

How can we help with such little information?

You need to provide what you are seeing as the problem, such as error messages and steps to reproduce.

Gary
gwinn7

My CR XI cant seems to connect to postgresql 8.0.0. (i installed psqlodbc.exe).

the connection is working for CR 8.5 but not CR XI. any help?

my postgresql is running on linux. the odbc setting (that works for cr 8.5) is created a data source 'da', pointing to my linux server ip address as the host, 'da'
as the database name, 'sa' as the user-id. Leave the password blank.

the error message received while configuring the above setup for CR XI: unknown database connector error

please help. thanks

Have you checked the support sites for CR XI? Since it works for 8.5, and not CR XI, it seems that its a Crystal Reports configuration or product issue.

Unfortunately, this is about as far as I can go with this problem. It seems like you have done everything right on the Postgres/ODBC side of things.

Gary
gwinn7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back