Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to connect old COAX to new 10xbase10 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Hello All
We are still running old style COAX Lan here with approx 40PCs on 3 segs with repeaters etc.
As it seems impossible to get the NICs anymore and I wish to drag us into the 21st century, I purchased a 8port switch and some cat6 patch cables to begin the upgrade with the plan of doing it in stages.
My intention was to connect the 2 servers to the switch and then to the COAX Lan via a std. media converter.
On testing this, however, the clients couldn't see the servers anymore and the servers couldn't see anything on the COAX segments inc ADSL router, clients etc.
All the activity lights both on the new switch and the old COAX flash in harmony but the 'duplex mode/collision' led on the switch for the COAX remained unlit (ie no duplex mode selected) whilst the 'link' led was lit (ie ok).
My questions are these:
1) can I gradually upgrade to twisted pair whilst keeping the COAX 10base2 network as-well?
2) if so, how do I connect the two network types together?
Thanks
Jon

Switch: Belkin 8 Port gigabit Switch F5D5141ea8 (auto sensing)
Media converter: Allied Telesyn AT-MC15 COAX / 10baseT

In my case, there is an Artisoft hub as the transition point. Cat5 in from the router and thinnet out. But mine is a much smaller network with very intermittent use and I'm not sure what a expansion would do to it.

What kind of network cards? And have you looked at ebay?

You might also look into dual media type cards, TP and 10B2 for temporary use during conversion. Extra work and extra cost but it positions you to switch either way when things upchuck during the switchover. And it wouldn't be for all machines, just the next segment to be switched.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

have just tried connecting just my lappy to the coax network via the switch and a media converter.
All it can then see is the nt4 server and all the workstations in the domain. not unix boxes or the router are pingable!
i am confused!

It is likely the transition port is seeing too many collisions and shutting down or the media convertor cannot see handshake with the gigabit ports.

Find a switch or hub with one coax port for each segment as this reduces the collisions and a switch will not propogate them. Likely as not this bit of kit will be end of life and thus cheap. Avoid unmanaged solutions as they can not easily be troubleshot.

The solution I have used in the past would be to find an old 3com corebuilder (nee lanplex) 2500 switch with 1 8 port coax blade and 2 single port 100Base fx ports. Being fully manageable it will provide all the stats for debugging etc.

Connect each segment to a seperate port on the 2500 in turn then migrate the pcs off coax one at a time.

There are similar switches and hubs by HP and cisco out there all EOL so should be cheap.

Solved it
Had to use a 3com OfficeConnect Ethernet Hub BC to join the two media types. Works a treat. Seems a media converter isn't up to it for some reason.
thanks all
Jon

Bite the bullet.
Rewire.

I have tried the media converter route and other options. Consider how old that cable plant is. Consider how difficult to troubleshoot random erros between the coax and wired segment. Consider the massive collision domain you have created on your 3Comm Hub.

Rewire.
Use switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back