Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect my laptop to DL 385 having REDHAT Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavithra123

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2001
CZ
Hi All,

Is there a way to connect laptop to the DL 385 having REDHAT Linux.

The DL 385 G2 does not have serial port only auxillary port and its extremely inconvenient to connect a monitor either CRT or LCD.

After configuring then the ILO can be used to access a remote console but during the initial config/installation its lot of pain to take a separate VGA adapter.

I believe that HP would have thought about this before deciding upon this HW architecture.

I tried the following and tried to connect my laptop to the (only )Auxillary port using NULL MODEM CABLE but it doesnt seem to work.

I added the following in /etc/inittab

# Run agetty on COM1/ttyS0 and COM2/ttyS1
s0:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L -f /etc/issueserial 9600 ttyS0 vt100
s1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L -f /etc/issueserial 38400 ttyS1 vt100

init q

and also in

/etc/securetty

added the following to allow root logins thru console

ttyS0
ttyS1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Pavithra

If you have a DHCP Server setup on the Mgmt network, you can let the ILO port grab an address and look it up by MAC on the server (use the little card that comes with the server for mac address and default password).

After that you can connect directly to the ILO. You can now load the OS, or do whatever else you'd like to remotely, just like you are on the box.

Regarding the need to get the serial port working...

I would remove the s1 line (as this box only has 1 serial port, correct). I would also verify the cable is valid and you are using 9600/8/N/1/VT100 as your settings on the connecting program.

If you have redhat installed on your DL server then you can assign IP address to the Server and also at your laptop. SO why don't you use the SSH to for remote login. if you have windows on your laptop then probably you can use putty to access Server via SSH

Saif

The OP said "The DL 385 G2 does not have serial port only auxillary port".

Anyway, the OP appears to have ninja-posted and vanished, so it probably doesn't matter.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back