Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect laptop to desktop 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben64

Technical User
Dec 7, 2002
US
I have an Acer Travelmate 506DX I'm fixing for a friend, I've gotten a lot done, but I was wondering if there was any way to connect it to my desktop without buying anything for the laptop. Like - Is there any way to connect a Serial port to an ethernet cable? Or - How can I make a null-modem cable and get it to work?

If both machines don't have a network connection, next best is probably a null modem parallel connection (unless one or both are running NT, when it will have to be serial - parallel is faster than serial is all). You then need to enable/install direct cable connection software on both machines (you don't say what version of windows - look here or here for help).

If they do both have network card/connection, just get a cat5 crossover cable and set up networking (

I'm using Windows 98, thanks for the sites, I'll try that, and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back