Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to connect home comp to work comp via internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

YOHAYON

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
CA
I have win98 on my pc at home with rogers cable (static ip address). i would like to connect to my computer at work which has ADSL (dynamic ip address) & is connected to a network. it runs win98 & novell client software v3.2 could i connect to my computer & files at work from home using the internet? or would i connect to the novell server first? (i dont need to access files on server) what is the best solution? in detail please. should i use a firewall? thank you.

Jose,

Well.... Since you have a dynamic IP address to the Internet, this would make you change your connection each time your IP changes. BUt.... IF you have no firewall between you and the Internet ( I highly suggest that you do at the very soonest that you can) you can connect to any device on your network. Think about that... ANY DEVICE on the network.... Servers, Printers, workstations anything that has an IP or IPX address. With that said. What do you want to do when you get to your network? That will determine a viable solution for you. May I suggest a modem on your server then you could dial in and have access to your network (including the Internet). This would not, should not replace a firewall. OH and BTW with a firewall you can fairly easily setup a VPN tunnel between you and your firewall that would then allow you access to any resource on your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back