Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to connect 3 LANs with 3 Linksys Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fargowind

MIS
Jul 27, 2004
US
Hi,
I've been trying to figure this out for a while with no success but really would like to get it to work.
I have three separate networks:
and soon 192.168.1.10
I have a 2Wire DSL modem with 4 LAN ports,
a Linksys WRT54G
and a Linksys BEFSR41.
The 3 networks will be in 3 different locations (a field office, a plant and a tunnel....yes...). All these locations will be connected to the field office through DSL modems. all the workstations will be running Win XP Home or Pro.
Here is my question: how do I setup my Linksys routers to talk to one another so that I can access files on any computer on any of the three LANs from the field office but allow only a few selected computers on the Plant or Tunnel LANs to access the computers in the field office?
Your help is most appreciated.
Thanks

You need some more equipment.

. You need an endpoint router that can support at least two VPN tunnels.

. You need two endpoint routers that can support at least one VPN tunnel

. You need to subnet your LAN differently (192.168.1.0, 192.168.2.0, 192.168.3.0)

Create the VPN tunnels between Field Office and Plant, and Field Office and Tunnel.

Thanks for your reply bcastner.
What routers do you suggest I should look at, as I've tried to establish a VPN connection with my WRT54G with no success (IPSec PPTP and right ports enabled + tried using different firwares etc...).
Also would I need any additional software or would the embeded WinXP Pro VPN software be good enough?
I heard of routing also do you think I could manualy set routing tables in my linksys routers or would that not work for me?
Thanks

Upgrade the firmware on the WRT54G. The Sveasoft and the newest Linksys firmware both fix PPTP issues.

The XP VPN client software should be sufficient for a single connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back