Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to configure SQL server mail profile to email alerts

Status
Not open for further replies.

APOC9109

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2006
US
I need to configure the sql 2000 server mail profile to be able to email alerts and notifications. I am not sure how to do this.
A sql 2000 server message tells me the user account the service the sql 2000 server service (sqlsvr.exe) uses, must already have a mail account configured and tested.

so i go into ADUC and try to create a mail account for the service it runs under (by default Local System) and of course active directory does not see it becuase it is an account local to that server. So I deducted, I will need to run the sqlsvr.exe service under a domain account (although this sounds unsercure??!!!, but anyway...). SO i created a domain account for the service in Active directory and gave it an exchange mailbox, but when I try to go into the SQL server > control panel > services, it will not let me use the active directory account as the user account the sqlsvr.exe service logs on as?

what am I missing.! probably something simple.
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back