Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure remote router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2002
RU
Hi!
There is a problem and I know it's possible to solve it but don't know how.
Situation: There is a remote router#1 which I can access through telnet. In the close proximity of this router#1 there is another router#2 which I have to configure but I do have neither ethernet nor serial connection to it.
I heard it's possible to get access to router#2 connecting router#1 aux port to router#2 console port. I cannot find prorer configuration to make it possible.
Will it work? Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
Mike

It's called reverse telnet. You need to set up the router as a terminal server. You can find specific information about this on Cisco's web site. Do a search for "reverse telnet" or "configuring terminal server". That should keep you busy in reading material.

use a rollover cable to connect the aux port of the router you can telnet to to the console port of the other. On the telnet router:
sh line
note the number next to aux
Now telnet to that router's IP using port 20xx where xx is the line number discovered above. You may have to pur speed 9600 on the aux line config.
-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back