Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure my disks in this new installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSOFT

Technical User
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi: I have a IBM xSeries 235 with 2 hotswap 75Gbytes HD and a IBM Server Raid Controller i want to install a Windows 2000 Server with AD, and want to know opinions about the disk space i use for the Boot partition, i think the following:

1) Use the Server Raid Controller to make a mirror with the 2 HD
2) Install Windows 2000 and use a C: partition of 4Gbytes )i can use a C: partition with the whole disk??, what is the good configuration for this server?

thanks

First, what are you going to be using the server for? Just a DC? app server? print server? file server?

Whatver it's for, I'd suggest a C:\ of greater than 4GB...say at least double that. If you can, I'd suggest getting two 18GB drives, installing the OS on one and mirror to the other, then setup your two big drives as the data space on a mirror. But, again, depends on what you're doing with the server.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

hi, thanks for your responce.

I wanto tu use AD (DC) and App Server.

fisrt, for the windows 2000 point of view, "i see" only ONE disk, this is becouse i use the serverraid card to make a mirror, from win2k i see only 1 disk

another question, i can make a 18 GB partition for the boot partition of win2k?? i know that if i use more than 4GB when i install the OS have a disk error (windows 2000 cant manage a ntfs partition more than 4GB for boot partition in the installation process) its right?

In the RAID Manager is where you'll see all your disks. If you've setup RAID level 1, then when you boot, yes, you'll only see one disk as far as the OS is concerned. If you configure RAID with multiple arrays, you'll see multiple "drives" in the OS.

I just setup an x345 last week with a 10GB C:\ drive, no issues. Windows 2000 doesn't have the 4GB limit that Windows NT had (has) on the boot partition.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

FYI, the 4GB limit in NT was also removed in later service packs. If you had installation media that had the service pack slipstreamed in, then it would install on largers partitions just fine. I can't recall if it was SP4 or SP5 though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back