Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure FOLDER REDIRECTION?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leke

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2005
NG
Hi all,

Can anybody show me how to configure Microsoft Folder redirection on Wins 2003 Active Directory.

I will surely appreciate your response.

Leke.

You can do it in a GPO. In group Policy go to User Configuration-->Windows Settings-->Folder Redirection

Folder Redirection – Users Home Directory within My Documents

1. Create a hidden share on File & Printer Server called HOME$. This is where you will store all your user home directories.
2. Click Share Permission should have the Group Everyone with Full Control.
3. Click on the Security Tab and select Administrators, then click the Advanced Button. Select Administrators (of your Domain Name) and click Edit. Check security from ‘This Folder Only’ to ‘To This Folder, Subfolder and Files’. Click Ok, Ok and Ok to close. This will allow the administrator have full access to any folders created under the Home share. So the administrator will be able to see all the users home directories.
4. Now we must create an Group Policy to redirect the users home directories to the My Documents folder.
5. Open ‘Active Directory for Users and Computers’. Right mouse click the OU which will run the new Folder Redirection Group Policy.
6. Click New to create and new policy and call it Folder Redirection. Goto User Configuration | Windows Settings | Right Click My Documents.
7. Choose the setting to BASIC
8. Target Folder Location = Create a folder for each user under root path
9. Root Path = \\ServerName\Home$
10. Click Okay and your policy is created.
11. Go to your servers command prompt and type GPUPDATE to refresh the policy.
12. If this is a Terminal or Citrix Server, also do a GPUPDATE on each server.
13. Login as a user for the first time and it should create a folder under HOME$ and with the username. Also the administrator should be able to browse through the contents of that new folder.
14. Right Click the MY DOCUMENT tab and it should point to \\servername\home$\username

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back