Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to configure DNS when using an AD domain and ISA server

Status
Not open for further replies.

STick170

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2010
GB
Hello all, I wondered if I could get some advice on how best to configure DNS on our network setup please.

Basically we’re finally in a position to upgrade our old NT 4.0 domain to 2000 Active Directory domain, ultimately we’ll go to 2008 or whatever comes next but as we have a spare licence for 2000 I’ll use that to migrate to AD and then work from there. Our network is protected by an ISA server which is a member of the NT domain and runs a (caching only?) DNS server that all the client PCs are manually pointed to this as their only DNS server address, most of them are XP and also running Firewall Client. When I upgrade the domain controller to 2000 I’ll need to install a DNS server on it for the active directory to work correctly. We can’t use DHCP on the network as we use some software on our network which requires the clients to have a static IP addresses.

When I’ve completed the upgrade I’m not sure what to do with the DNS setup, obviously there will be no DHCP to automatically tell the clients what DNS server to use.
+Do I simply add the new domain controller IP as the alternate DNS server address in the client PCs TCP/IP settings? (Or put the Domain controller as the primary DNS server and ISA as the alternate address?)
+Do I need to configure a forwarder from one of the DNS servers to the other? (I’d guess the domain controller DNS would forward to the ISA DNS?)
+Do I simply stop pointing the client PCs to the ISA DNS completely?
+Do I need to do something entirely different?

Any help is much appreciated!

use a script to change the computers DNS entry to the new 2000 AD Domain DNS

Utilize NETSH
command: netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static x.x.x.x (ip of new DNS server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back