Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to configure CON (display) with windows 10 because it is suddenly extremely slow..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crox

Programmer
Apr 3, 2000
NL
Hi,

If you are using DISPLAY with windows 10, 64 bits, the old COBOL running in a DOS/CMD box, is suddenly extremely slow without reason except that it seems to be sabotaged by Microsoft because when I redirect the output to a file, suddenly it is as fast as before.... So perhaps anyone knows how to tune CON to the level of everything before Windows 10?

Regards,

Crox

I found out that there is a legacy setting for the CMD box, and then it works much more normal.

differences:

settings using windows 10 standard:

C:\rw\WEDSTRD>WEDSTRD2A
TIJD: 23.56.09.00
TYPE DOS ACTIEF
TIJD: 00.34.49.65
TIJD: 00.49.16.63
TYPE BIOS ACTIEF
TIJD: 01.10.59.86
TYPE MAPPED ACTIEF
TIJD: 01.32.44.56

settings legacy:

C:\rw\WEDSTRD>WEDSTRD2C
TIJD: 11.21.53.06
TYPE DOS ACTIEF
TIJD: 11.21.53.10
TIJD: 11.21.53.12
TYPE BIOS ACTIEF
TIJD: 11.21.53.15
TYPE MAPPED ACTIEF
TIJD: 11.21.53.20

So if you wonder why a normal working application suddenly does not work with Windows 10, try to find out if this setting can help you. In the past, I found out that many things that Microsoft makes are really very slow. A similar COBOL function is most of the time at least 3000 times faster. At least. Unbelievable? You would think so. I did think so until again I experienced the opposite. 3000 Times at least.

Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Crox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back