Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to configure a mail server in Linux 9 os

Status
Not open for further replies.

hari50881

Technical User
Oct 28, 2003
AE
hi,

I installed Linux 9 os as a server in our company i am planing to make that is our mail server. if any one help me to configure the mail server. I want to share the contacts & calender.

thx
Hk

hari,
You first need to unlearn something because it sounds like you come from an MS Exchange background.

In Unix/Linux, a 'mail server' does nothing but mail. It does not maintain contacts, it does not maintain schedules. Those are what Exchange does, it's a groupware product. Mail is not designed to be integrated between users in the U/Linux camp.

That said, you CAN install groupware that mimics the same functionality - it is more complicated, but it is available.

There are open-source and fee-based products such as the following:

If you want to build a kick-ass anti-spam, anti-virus enabled, POP3 and IMAP server for free, then you MUST READ THIS GUIDE:

PLEASE do not try to use SENDMAIL, it is evil, complicated, and inefficient.

Surfinbox.com Business Internet Services - National Dialup, DSL, T-1 and more.

I think the best for you is This is the best project what I have seen.
Adittional if you are going to use outlook as client you can buy plugins for one on I use this combination in my network. And use as server RH 7.3
with all updates insteed RH9. 7.3 is beter solution for server
(my personal expiriens).

Looks like you're calling RedHat 9 Linux 9. Redhat is just a flavour of linux. Linux is the operating system and redhat is a company that packages everything into a system.

You can easily build your own linux version these days and call it what ever you like. Just thought I metion this.

---- it's not called X-windows but X-window---

Go to . Download SME server 6.03, download the updates, join the forum and search for questions. You will see SME is the easiest to administer until you have command-line knowledge of linux...

Jonnybb1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back