Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to config sendmail daemon on SLES8 to send to new GW relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCharles

Programmer
Jun 10, 2002
US
We recently changed thelocation of our GW relay servers. All email from my internal mail server (linux SLES8) is sent through the GW relay servers.

All messages get service unavailable error message, however from wrong server (ie. old ip). Our GW mail relay servers were moved, but the sendmail seems to still try and send to old ips for GW mail relay servers. I reset the ips in my server's /etc/hosts file, but relays still don't seem to go to the new ips.

Sendmail is still using a different ip for the relay than that specified in the hosts file.

We need to find how to get the sendmail daemon to relay to the new server -
ie. it's not using the entry in the hosts file to resolv to the correct relay server.

Specific error message from maillog:
May 25 09:36:39 fchportal sendmail[2633]: j4PFadf8002631: to=<
me@myorg.org >, ctladdr=< root@myserver.org > (0/0),
delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=120310,
relay=GWRELAY.org. [10.###.###.###], dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable

The 10.###.###.### is the ip of the old GW relay server.

How to get the sendmail daemon to send to the new GW relay?

Is this an internal, on my server, configuration?
Or does some kind of address translation need to occur on a conduit or router somewhere?

On one of my red hat boxes, all I had to do was change the ip address of the GW relay in my hosts file. This does not work with SLES8/sendmail.

Charlie ;)
5/26/05

Did that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd thought I did that already. However, looking at dates on mailertable and mailertable.db showed not. So, I changed ownership of mailertable.db from mail:root to root:root and then back again after running command to rebuilt: makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable.db <mailertable

RE: Problem still exists such that mail not getting sent to correct relay server.

We've got a temporary work-around where old relay server is accepting email from my server, but we need to get permanent solution in place - ie. configure sendmail daemon to send to new GW relay server. Following entry in /var/log/mail shows that old relay still being used:
to=<me@emailhost.org>, ctladdr=<root@myserver.org> (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=esmtp, pri=120310, relay=mail1.oldrelay.org. [10.100.100.43], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (OK - Data received)

Any other ideas? Again, we're on SLES8.

Charlie ;)
5/31/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back