Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to config Cisco Catalyst 3524XL to act as DHCP client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

igmp

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
According to this:

When you boot your switch, the DHCP client can be invoked and automatically
request configuration information from a DHCP server under the following
conditions:
• The configuration file is not present on the switch.
• The configuration file is present, but the IP address is not specified in it.
• The configuration file is present, the IP address is not specified in it, and the
service config global configuration command is included. This command
enables the autoloading of a configuration file from a network server.

At startup, the switch should look for DHCP server but I don't see this. Please advise...

Hello
The only way I say this work is when you erase the startup-config and power on the switch.There must be a DHCP server on the same segment as the Switch.
Regards

Yeah, I found similar articles; I could be wrong, but I don't believe this does what you are thinking. I'm not sure why you would want a switch to be a dhcp client...can you explain the "why" behind this?

Hi Chipk
This stuff works like magic!Just tried it out in my lab.If you hook up a switch without a config file (I think the Vlan.dat must not be present as well)to a subnet that has a DHCP server.The switch will request an address through Bootp protocol.It will be given an address and then I will look for a configuration file network-confg,switch-confg,cisconet.cfg.If it find a related file it will load it,and you are good to go.
I don't see the use for this in a serious network.But thinking of it,it could be useful in some situation.
Regards

I saw that as well, but I was also having a hard time thinking of why you would want to do it, especially if you have multiple switches on the same segment. I'll have to try it out some time.

I agree why would you want to , then you don't know what the address is to manage the switch and you end traceing arp tables and mac addresses to try and figure what the address is to manage the switch . If the switch reboots you could then get a totally different address .

I suppose you *could* make a dhcp reservation based on the switch mac-address, but it seems like you're just creating MORE work doing things that way. I think it could be done, but it seems like you'd end up doing more work in the end than if you just config'd the switch manually.

Hi guys
I think this is another one of Cisco idea's to capture the mass market.Kind of plug and play!Think of a situation in a company where there's not a cisco tech.This company could install a new switch with this method.The config file could be pre-configured by cisco or some tech.They would just have to stick the file in the tftp server directory.Pretty cool!
Regards

Pretty cool if you don't want to keep your job! ;)

Not cool if you get in a troubleshooting situation and you don't know what the switch address is .

Well think of this one! My friend works in a Big Bank here in my home town.They don't even have a Cisco tech on the payroll.They core is made up of Cisco equipment.They call in outside Cisco techs when new stuff has to be install.Think of the savings they could have with this plug and play.Cisco implemented this technology for some reason.I think we will be heading in that direction.Take and example of the SDM and ASDM.
And even in this same forum there are about 80% posters who don't even have a CCNA, and they have entire networks in their hands.
Regards

What happens when the Bank has trouble, they call in a Cisco tech, and he does not know the IP of the switch? Hopefully it's a 192.168.x.x network, and the tech can ping/telnet 254 addresses (minus the DHCP server, so 253) until he gets the right one, huh? Plug and play...lol

Burt

That's really scarey that a large financial institution would not have a network engineer on their payrole. Isn't there some kind of SOX compliance that they are violating?

Yes, the money that is saved is by subtracting the salary of a network engineer from the budget. Not my idea of good cost savings. :p

Good to know this post is still alive. The reason behind the scene is actually pretty simple. We have a lot Cisco vlan switches in the lab for each setup. We want to have a standard conf. Extra work is not an issue here.

Question is it does not work in the way as described. Can some one give a clue.

Thanks

Hello
Read the replies carefully.Yes all of what you mention in your first mail works.If the switch has no ip address,it request one fron the dhcp server,then It will load a config file from the tftp server.Note that the proccesss is a bit slow give the switch time to load the ip address.Don't press "return" to start after the switch boot.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back