Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to config a 501 - newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonelliv

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
I just inherited a Cisco PIX 501. I have experience with other routers (Linksys, netgear, etc.) My newbie question is this. How do I connect to configure? The telnet connection is refused. Is there a GUI application for it? I have been trying a crossover cable to both the hub ports and the console port. I am hoping that I just need to have a straight-through cable.

TIA

there is a port labeled "CONSOLE". You need to run a x-over cable and a serial adapter.
Once you have the necessary cabling in place...launch hyperterminal and prepare to devote the next couple of weeks learning how to configure it.

hope this helps

MCSE/MCDBA
SANS GIAC + SANS FIREWALL

x-over AND a serial adapter.....? Do I have to have both?

btw-I'm thinking the reason you can't telnet to the device is because your address isn't "allowed" to telnet...have to use hyperterminal first.

MCSE/MCDBA
SANS GIAC + SANS FIREWALL

I have n00b question too. I started to config my 501 about month ago, but was pulled to another project. Stupid me, I did not write down the new password (if I changed it at all). First of all, is there a default user name and/or password? I am really stuck.

tonelliv,

I have never come in contact with the 501's, but the 515, 520 and Catalyst 29xxXL are all shipped with a console cable and serial adapter.
I assume they ship it with the small PIX-models too, because you need it to perform the initial config.
Others in the forum may confirm or contradict that...

If it's there, you'll easily recognise it, the cable is about 2 meters long, flat, light blue, and has RJ45's at both ends.
One end is probably connected to a beige, rattling D-Sub9 adapter.

Just hook it up and run Hyperterminal at 9600,8,N,1.
Good luck. :)

JPLewis,

You need to do a password recovery on your PIX.
It's fairly simple, and your config will be left intact.
Follow the instructions here:

I just got a 501 - I plugged cat5 cable into the switch and set the pc to dhcp (win2000). Opened browser and set address to 192.168.1.1\pdm or \startup depending on whether you want to config it or go into the pdm. the passwords are defaulted to nothing, so just press enter on the username and login screen. It worked out of the box that way.

Hope that helps...

TH

maalobs,

Thanks, those instructions did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back