Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to confifure client/server application on peer-to-peer network

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyAsfand

Programmer
Nov 27, 2003
GB
Hi All..
Hope you are fine..

The theme to write this issue infront of you is resolve the issue which i have been struggling from last 1 week.
Actually i have developed simple client/server application through Visual basic 6 which communicates easily onto NT4..server 2000 etc.But now i have been trying to

implement this applcation on Peer-To-Peer Network using Win98/95 with Window ME or vise virsa which was causing the problem..but now half of problem has solved
(Better in mind for this purpose, i have configured and connect both computers through WORKGROUP Peer-To-Peer Network )
First i made Win98 ( which contains the Server applicatin) and Win ME ( as a client) with following configuration..

Acess Control : Share Level

In DCOMCNFG :
Default authentication Level : None
Default Impersonation Level : Identify

please assume that i have run Server application manually on server machine and also run the RPCSS.exe as well..
through above configuration, client computer could't not create object of Component that installed on Server ( which is Win98). Then studied all the stuff from Microsoft

Website , MSDN everything which i could read from different locations and websites.After long time i changed the configuration with folllowing details

Acess Control : User Level Access Control

In DCOMCNFG :
Default authentication Level : None
Default Impersonation Level : Identify

By doing this, now i could run the application from client machine and everything working fine.BUT whenever you try to share any FOLDER ( either on Server or Client), it

does't allow to share. Please assume that i have installed the FILE AND PRINTER SHARING FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS on both computers.
Could you please tell me about following question ?
1- How Can we share the folder on Client/Server through using USER LEVER ACCESS CONTROL in above mention scenario? If yes then your assistance will be hightly

appreciatable.

2- If you "NO" against first question then CAN we configure this client/server application through using SHARE LEVEL ACCESS CONTROL.? If yes then please guide me.

Please if somebody knows or faced this issue and have solution then please guide me.
I would be really greatful if you send solution direct ot my email account.
asfand_iqbal@hotmail.com
asfand_iqbal@in-syncsystems.co.uk

Asfand Iqbal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back