Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOW TO CONECT VFP TO SQL SERVER ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COBART

MIS
Sep 7, 2000
ID
Hallo ..
I AM BEGINNER IN VFP
I HAVE CREATE APPLICATION FROM VFP AND I WANT TO MANAGE MY DATABASE FROM SQL SERVER. BUT I DONT KNOW HOW TO CONNECT VFP TO SQL SERVER.
PLEASH HELP ME ..!
would you like to expound my problem

THANKS FOR YOUR ATTENTION

Rudi

Take a look in the help file at the SQLCONNECT() function.
There are many functions relating the an SQL server connection n the help file and there are all preceded with the letters SQL...

Hope that helps

If you want to do it simply without having to write a lot of code, use ODBC and remote views. You can create the ODBC connection in windows (in Win2000 it's //Start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/Data Sources (ODBC)). Then click ADD, pick the SQL Server driver and follow the directions from there. If you have questions let us know.

In VFP then, create a Database (you don't necessarily have to have any tables in it, but views can only be part of a database. ) Then click remote view. Click the Available Data Sources radio button and you should have a list containing the ODBC connection you just created in windows. Create the view you want (i.e. which tables, fields, how they're to be indexed, which fields can be updated [be sure to check the 'send SQL updates' checkbox in the 'update criteria' tab], etc.

If you've done everything right, you should be able to use your remote view just as if it were a VFP table.

Of course once you're more experienced, you might want to roll your own as far as connections go and do all the other advanced thingees people around here are discussing endlessly. Dave Dardinger

PM4JI, I'm also interested in doing this to.

My first question would be, how can I create a SQL table?
(I have MSSQL6.5).

I run WIN98 and have the personal server running for Front Page. Where I get hung-up is that I am asked for a Server "Name". I'm not to hip on TCP/IP but if I understand correctly this is something that needs to be set before I can begin.

I'm not sure I understand, but in passing I hear SQL is a "service" not an "app". I am unclear on what this means.

Sorry for these basic questions, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

TIA for your kindness and tutorledge - Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back