Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to COMPLETELY rename a server machine???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jax2

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
US
I renamed the server on which our database resides. Then database ceased to function, and everything I read indicated that I could simply rerun the installation, and it would fix problems. After rerunning the installation, the database works just fine. I am now attempting to configure replication on the server, but the problem is that somehow, somewhere it still believes that a server of its old name exists and is attempting to connect TO it. Any ideas on how to fix the problem other than completely reloading the server software on the machine??? Thanks beforehand....

Your main problem was that you did not rename the server internally. This is the key. Run the following in the query analyzer before changing a servers netbios name.

-------------------------------------
sp_dropserver existingservername
go
sp_addserver newserversname, local
go
-------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back