Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to compare objects from two exes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctest

Programmer
Apr 12, 2004
US
I want to compare the objects created in 2 exes which are built using VFP6 SP5 and VFP8 SP1. I think about using saveas to save the objects in scx and then compare the scxs but the objects I want to compare are based on user-defined classes so saveas won't work according to VFP help.

Basically I want to find out the following information:

1. which objects are missing between the exes
2. which properties are missing betweem same objects (same name)
3. which object's property contains different value between the exes

Thanks for any help.

Class information is stored in a pair of vcx & vct files. These have the same structure as dbf & fpt files so you can open the class library as though it were a table:
Code:
USE MyLibrary.vcx
Write a simple report based on this table. Print it out then USE the other library and run the same report against that table.

Geoff Franklin

You can use SCCTEXT.PRG - it's in the VFP home directory - to create a consistent text file from classes, forms, reports, labels and/or menus. (This is what Visual SourceSafe uses.) You can then use any text file comparison program to check the changes. Note: You may want to get an updated version of SCCTEXT at (15KB) to get better comparisons - it sorts the methods (among other improvements) so it's easier to see the "real" changes.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back