Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to collect Serial Number from Extreme XOS Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpereira1

Technical User
Aug 4, 2011
US
I have about 80 switches which I need to collect serial number information for. Is there a way to automate this? I have tried using the solarwinds toolset and lansurveyor but it does not pull up the serial number in any of the reports I try. I will appreciate any help you guys can give me on this!

So since no one was able to answer this one , and for my own notes I am posting what I ended up doing:

1. discover all devices with LanSurveyor (trial available at solarwinds.com)

2. Generatate an excel spreadsheet with all the IPs

3. Download snmpwalk (
3a. use contactinate in excel to paste the commands together so you dont have to type out 100 commands.

4. make a bat file from the text you made in step 3a that runs the following for each IP on the spreadsheet:
snmpwalk -v 2c -t 10 -r 4 -c <SNMP_Commuinity> <IP_Address> .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2 >> c:\output.txt
snmpwalk -v 2c -t 10 -r 4 -c <SNMP_Commuinity> <IP_Address> .1.3.6.1.4.1.1916.1.1.1.16 >> c:\output.txt

5. PROFIT!

IF someone has a better way of doing it I would be very interested.

Glad you got it working! You can also use Ridgeline for doing so. It actually is pretty useful for that.

Once you add all the devices to it, you can go into the reporting part, and look at your serial numbers (also includes the serial numbers for all members of a stack) and get them from there.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back