Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to code a SQL statement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2002
US
I've shied away from coding SQL statements and have always used queries instead. I'd like to learn how but got Error #3075 (syntax error/missing operator) on my first attempt:

DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT DISTINCT qryScheduleAppt.WONumber, qryScheduleAppt.ContactID" _
& "FROM qrySchedule INNER JOIN qryScheduleAppt ON" _
& "qrySchedule.ContactID = qryScheduleAppt.ContactID;"

I'd really appreciate it if someone could get me started and point out what I'm doing wrong here.

Ann

When debugging SQL statements I usually debug.print them so I can see what is being passed around.
In your case, you have not put any spaces or line breaks at the end of your lines so your statement is:

SELECT DISTINCT qryScheduleAppt.WONumber, qryScheduleAppt.ContactIDFROM qrySchedule INNER JOIN qryScheduleAppt ONqrySchedule.ContactID = qryScheduleAppt.ContactID;

your code should either be:
DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT DISTINCT qryScheduleAppt.WONumber, qryScheduleAppt.ContactID" & vbcrlf & _
& "FROM qrySchedule INNER JOIN qryScheduleAppt ON" & vbcrlf _

or
DoCmd.RunSQL "SELECT DISTINCT qryScheduleAppt.WONumber, qryScheduleAppt.ContactID " _
& "FROM qrySchedule INNER JOIN qryScheduleAppt ON " _

Incidently, you are usually better off using queries, rather than SQL statments where possible. When you run a query it is optimized by Access to make it run faster. This optimization is saved by access when you save a query, but will have to be done each time you send an SQL statement, making things just that little bit slower.

Cheers

Ben

----------------------------------------------
Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline

Thanks for the advice about queries vs coding SQL.

I decided on using spaces instead of the crlf option but now I get Error #2342 (a RunSQL action requires an argument consisting of a SQL statement). This error has me totally clueless.

Ann

oh yeah! Didn't occur to me!
Docmd.RunSQL requires an action query. It does something like update records, deletes records, creates a table, etc.
AFAIK there is no way of opening up an sql statement for view.
You will need to save the SQL as a query, like you did before and then use docmd.openquery to display the results.

Cheers

ben

Ben O'Hara "Where are all the stupid people from...
...And how'd they get so dumb?"
rockband.gif
NoFX-The Decline

Thanks for helping out Ben. I really appreciate it.

Ann

Ben gave me several pieces of helpful info and advice and I'd like to award a star but my browser is acting up. Is there some kind soul out there that wouldn't mind posting a star on my behalf? Thanks.

Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back