Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clone 4 disks on Sun v240 to another Sun v240

Status
Not open for further replies.

parazhang

MIS
May 13, 2003
US
I have one Sun v240 and 4 disks installed on it,as we know,this module machine has only

4 slot to insert 4 hard disks.Now all of the 4 disks are being used by solaris9 OS and

Oracle database.

I knew it is not so difficult to clone one disk to another disk on the same machine

using dd command,but all of the 4 disks are being used and we cannot pull off anyone.

So We wanted to clone these 4 disks to another sun v240 also with 4 same disks through

the network,is it possible or anyone has some other good ideas?

thanks in advance and if you need,I can put other infomation about the source host,pls

let me know?

root@sol-9-SOURCE_DISKS:/root# df -h
Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 6.3G 3.5G 65% /
/proc 0K 0K 0K 0% /proc
mnttab 0K 0K 0K 0% /etc/mnttab
fd 0K 0K 0K 0% /dev/fd
swap 9.4G 32K 9.4G 1% /var/run
/dev/dsk/c2t1d0s4 3.0G 1.1G 1.8G 38% /ora4
/dev/dsk/c1t3d0s4 3.0G 156M 2.7G 6% /ora5
swap 9.4G 320K 9.4G 1% /tmp
/dev/md/dsk/d8 12G 3.2G 8.5G 28% /ora2
/dev/md/dsk/d3 40G 1.1G 38G 3% /home
/dev/md/dsk/d7 2.5G 2.1G 290M 89% /ora1
/dev/md/dsk/d9 50G 1.4G 48G 3% /ora3
/dev/md/dsk/d4 14G 1.5G 12G 12% /usr/local

If all of those metadevices weere mirrors you could theoretically break all of the mirrors, put half of the disks in the new server and rebuild the mirrors on both sides. However... you hav esome filesystems that are not on mirrored disks (/ora4 and /ora5) so, unless they just contain temporary throwaway data that you don't need to clone, that could be a problem.

Also if the metadevices are not mirrors, but RAID5, then that method would not be possible.

Another option would be to rsync the data to the new server. This would take a 'hot' copy of the data (i.e. it will most likely be incomplete due to application updates going on at the same time) across the network, but then you could shut down the application briefly, perform another rsync to copy only the changes since the previous rsync, and then start up the application when the rsync is complete.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back