Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clear server side cache Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoCoolHandle

Programmer
Apr 10, 2003
US
Hi..

I recently experienced an issue with an iis7 system where code that was changed in a "code behind" page wasn't being executed with subsequent page refreshes. It got wilder than that. We could delete the webpage and it's code behind page and the server kept serving it up. (I tried getting the page from multiple systems and the page kept coming back like an unwanted house guest)

So the question is.. (How can I force a server side cache refresh via something like the web.config file? - is it possible.)

The solution we came up with was to change the dotnet app from 2.0 etc to 1.1 and then back. (Not what i call a good solution, but it did work) - we have almost no control over iis itself as this is a "hosted solution", so I need to find a solution that would allow me to do it from config files).

A person in the hosting company's support suggested i make changes in the .htaccess file, but I thought that only applied to apache servers.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

PS I will cross-post to asp.net (and update this group if a solution is proposed)

asp.net copies the code to C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\[name of app]. unless you force the site to refresh it will continue to use these copies until it cycles.

there are a few changes that automatically refresh the application.
1. changes to root
2. changes to bin
3. changing more than 12 files at once (i think)

try recycling the application pool for the application. or start/stop the application. you can also delete the files in the temporary asp.net files directory, but you shouldn't need to touch that.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Interesting.. I did upload the web.config file to the server, but it didn't do it. (however i had not made any actual changes to is, just reuploaded it) - do you think a physical change is required?

It would be reasonably easy to just add a dummy connection string.

I will see if i can set it up again and try.

I don't have access to any of the folders that are not part of the website we are hosting (so just the virtual directorys setup in iis as our application)

Rob

Changing the web.config (adding a connection string) didn't stop the phantom page.. (added and then deleted from the server after requesting the page)

this is interesting and frustrating at the same time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back