Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to clean the thermal pad of the heatsink and cpu 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefaan100

Technical User
Feb 9, 2004
US
Put together a new computer and at the end of the process found out that my motherboard was no good. It has been sent back for replacement.
I am using a P4 2.8GHZ and the standard heatsink that came with it. These heatsinks use a black thermal pad.
I read somewhere that you should always replace the thermal pad everytime you remove the heatsink from the CPU.
So, how do I remove the thermal pad from both surfaces (heatsink and CPU?) safely. And should I instead use Artic Silver to replace the thermal pad?

Thanks.

Use something plastic, like a credit card, to remove the bulk of the thermal pad material. Never use anything made from metal or any other hard material that will scratch the surfaces!

Then, remove the remaining material with a soft cloth and high purity alcohol(91% or higher).

Arctic Silver is an excellent compound which provides greater thermal conductivity than a pad.

I agree with Ski. I have used a credit card to remove the old thermal pad. Get ready it might take some time to get it all off.

I also like Artic Silver, again you can apply it with a credit card just don't use too much and make sure you get the compound NOT the adhesive. Here is the instructions on application.

You will notice that most PC builders/Techs use the Arctic Silver compound or equivilant... I do...

I second that what SKI said about removing the stuff with Denatured Alcohol at around 91% or above (the higher the better), on the HS you could also use Acetone (at a higher consentration than found in Nail Polish Remover), or what I used once in a while (cuz I still got some of it around) Printhead Cleaner (in old days used to clean the DOT MATRIX printheads), BUT ONLY ON THE HEATSINK... on the CPU, I only use Alcohol nothing else...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back