Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check my sytem specs for model recognition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieTony

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2008
US
OK... I have got this older ibook and I would like to install a version of OSX Tiger 10.4 on it. When I try to start the install I get the error of

"startup disk was unable to select the install cd as the startup disk (-2)"

I was told to update my firmware but first I need to find the correct model I have. The version this is running is 9.1 and I have no idea how to find my mhz, or RAM so I really am having a hard time figuring out what model I am using.

On the bottom is serial: 3902P001
It has a 12 inch screen
2 inch Translucent Apple sign on top
Firewire and 2 USB all aligned nest to each other

I tried to use the guide which gives visual Clues to no avail:
After looking at this thread im sure I can install 10.4 on this ibook :
From the information that has been giving to me via that second link I figure I would not need the firmware update and I tried to run iBook Firmware Update 4.1.7 but my machine was not compatible.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Noncentz

hi TechieTony
Try clicking on the apple in the upper left hand corner then About This Mac and see what that tells you

Hope this helps
IMacQuarker

In OS 9.1, you should be able to go to the menu and choose about this mac and get all of the information you are looking for.

Then check the compatibility and minimum requirements.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Thanks guys, ive got my answer now...

IBook Dual USB 500mhz PPC G3,

But now I have a serious quandary because I still cant update my OS to OSX Tiger. The Apple website has this:

iBook (Dual USB) no update needed

When I go to see the minimum requirements it seems as though im good to go. I have tried to look for the current firmware for this model of IBook and I cant seem to find it anywhere (frustration sets in)... I still get this error on my attempts:

startup disk was unable to select the install cd as the startup disk (-2)

Man I really have to bone up on my mac admin skills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back