Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check if a database is being used by another process

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZuperDuper

Programmer
Jun 4, 2004
US

I have an application that is using Access database, and crystal reports. Within the application I need to be able to view crystal reports that are using the databse. then exit out of the crystal reports, and rerun/repopulate the access database with different set of data., then view crystal reports again.
The problem is that I get an error that tells me that the file(database) is being used by another proccess. I try to delete the file before I recreate it with the following code:

sResults is the path to the access database.
If File.Exists(sResults) Then
' Try
Kill(sResults)
' Catch e As Exception
' MsgBox(e.Message)
' End Try
End If

I have examined my code, and it looks like the error comes up only when I use crystal reports to access data. Which leads me to believe that once I close the report viewer, it is still using the access tables.

I tried to dispose the CRVIEWER9 object once I close the form on which it is located, that does not work, BTW I think that the object is automatically disposed once the form that its attached to is gone.

path is the location of the access data in this example where I am initializing crviewer object.

Public Sub ProcessReport(ByVal intDestination As Integer, ByVal path As String, ByVal text As String)
form3.InitializeLifetimeService()
form3 = New Form3
If intDestination = 0 Then
With form3.CRVIEWER9
.ReportSource = path
.RefreshReport()

.Show()
End With
form3.Text = text
form3.Show()
Else
With form3.CRVIEWER9
.Visible = False
.ReportSource = path
.PrintReport()
End With
End If
End Sub

What is the problem, and is tere a way to make sure what process exactly is using my access database?

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

should I repost?

So, does any one know if its a crystal reports bug, or is it a crystalviewer bug? Please help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back