Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to check for network congestion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandan123

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
Today we had a problem where our entire network slowed down.

It turned out that backups had not completed and once they were killed things returned to normal.

As a Unix admin what tools are available to check for network congestion ?

Hi dandan,

I would suggest using the switches with netstat.
For example, netstat -i will show inboudn and outbound packets including any colisions.

I'm not too hot on the network side of things, but netstat usually tells me what I need.

Hope this helps

Hi,

I had to investigate the same issue some time ago. Thank God for Ethereal. You can download it on Solaris freeware site. Fabolous tool. I installed it on Solaris 8 machine and exported display on my laptop. Of course you have to use some X terminal in order to obtain GUI. I used hummingbird exceed. You get graphs where you can read just everything. I was analysing special commands that we send via network and congestion that they are using. Do not look any further -> Ethereal.

mmumdzie,

Would you know if ethereal loads the network in any way ?

No it does not. It simply monitors the Network interface of the host machine. You can eavesdrop the Network without influencing it.

You can try using nttcp or something similar. It will setup a connection between two machines and then tell you the statistics. As far as network congestion you might need a fluke or something.

ntop is a great tool, when the ntop process starts it starts its own webserver which you can browse too to get graphs etc of current network activity ......i couldnt live without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back