Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change Windows opening screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupbs

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
BD
Hi there! Does anybody know how to change the windows opening screen? I want to customize that screen. Please help me.
Thanks in advance.
Jupbs

Do you mean the "Welcome to Windows" logo?

If so then:

I think 2000 and XP have the logos embedded in a exe.

95 and 98 you can change.

In C: look for "logo.sys". This is actually a bmp of the "Welcome to Windows 9x"

In C:\Windows look for "logow.sys" and "logos.sys" (Shutting Down... and It's Now Safe...)

Hope this helps.

Hello bigalbigal
thanks for the solution. I have found two sys files..logow.sys and logos.sys, but cannot find logo.sys file. There is one file named logo is there but it cannot open itself in bmp format. The file extension it shows me as "WBM". Do you have any idea what kind of file extension is this one and how can i open it? Also where can i find the opening sound of the window?
Thanks in advance.
Jupbs

in windows 98se the c:\logo.sys does not exist, it is actually created into a different sys file on the computer with simular properties to a dll (has other stuff in it too) if you wish, you can still create a file simular to logow.sys or logos.sys and place it in the c:\ named as logo.sys and windows will automatically default it as the loadup screen, If you create your own image, you will notice the pallete on the bottom does not rotate anymore, this is a mere color transition that you have to set, I would suggest getting this nice little program called XrXlogo at xrxlogo.com, it helps you set your pallettes and you can define what you want your picture to do while loading up... they also have some cool boot up screens too, er maybe that was a different site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back