Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to change the x axis (group axis) in CR for .NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

astensland

Programmer
Sep 24, 2003
NO
I have a graph where the x axis (group data) is dates. There are 90 dates, so it gets a bit messy.... First of all, the dates are displayed horizontally, so everything is unreadable, since the dates are printed over each other. Is there a way to flip the labels on this axis to vertical?? And also, I don't need to display all 90 lables on this axis. Every 4th date label would do. Is there a way to achieve this???

I have Crystal Reports 9 and I can show the labels vertically by doing this:
Click on a date until it is highlighted.
Right click on the date.
Go to Chart Options/Selected Item.
A Formatting screen comes up and the Font tab lets you select rotation.

I can also solve your problem of too many titles on the x-axis with this version of Crystal....
Highlight the date.
Right click and go to Chart Options/Grid.
Click on "Group Axis" tab on left side of box.
Click on "Labels" tab at top of box.
Check off "Use Manual Number of Groups" and enter whatever number you want.

If you are using the CR that comes with .NET it does not have the editing UI to allow you to rotate or skip the labels (all you have is the one 'chart expert' dialog).

You can always get our replacement chart library for CR that includes a bunch of runtime macros - including one to set the 'skip' value on the x-axis labels and another that automatically determines a nice solution so that the x-axis labels do not overlap.

eMail me at danw@threedgraphics.com and I'll send you a free evaluation version.
-Dan @ 3D (The guy who wrote the chart library in CR)

Dan Weingart
OEM Technical Manager
Three D Graphics, Inc.

I am using CR 8.5.

If I recall from long ago, the X axis is the vertical axis and the Y axis is the horizontal. ??

I want the dates to be on the X axis. So far, I haven't had any luck doing this in 8.5.

Tried following your posts but cannot double click on dates in the 8.5 version.

Any ideas?

My mistake. The x axis is the horizontal. Wow-it's been awhile.

But back to my question: Is there a way to put the group data on the Y axis?

[flowerface]

crystalguru

I'm not sure how CR 8.5 looks, but in version 9 I think you would use the Chart Expert. In Data selection (on the Data tab) you would have to select "For each record"- whatever it is that you are plotting. For "Show value(s)" you would pick your date field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back