Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the start menu's text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurvivorTiger

Programmer
Jul 9, 2002
US
Hey everyone;
Couple days ago I found this program in Planet Source Code ( that would change the start menu's text, so instead of "Start" you could have your name written on the start button. I downloaded the program but it didn't do anything, now i thought it's maybe because i have Windows XP Professional and the program might have been made for the older version. So does anyone know how I can do this even manually without a vb program? AIM: survivertiger & Ye This Is Me

changing it involves hacking Explorer.EXE. In general a bad thing to do and those changes can be undone any time you patch or get a new version of IE.

Im not so sure but you can try a HEX Editor like the one from Norton Utility to display and be able to edit Text string like the "Start" in the Explorer.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back