Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the login for dbo user

Status
Not open for further replies.

philrm

MIS
Jun 1, 1999
AU
The login for dbo on one of the databases on our sql 2000 server has been changed to anon?? How can I change this back to what it should be??? Does this indicate a security breach. I have tried the SP_CHANGE_USER_LOGIN but dbo is not an allowed user name.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Did someone change the DB owner to ANON or did someone add an alias for ANON as dbo?

Use sp_changedbowner to change the DB owner to sa.

exec sp_changedbowner 'sa'

Use sp_dropalias to drop an alias from the DB.

exec sp_dropalias 'anon'

If one of these methods doesn't resolve the issue, please provide more information about the situation. Terry L. Broadbent - Salt Lake City, UT
Home of the 2002 Winter Olympics (Feb 8-24)

Thanks tlbroadbent
I ran the sp_changedbowner and that fixed the issue. One of the web developers could not get an odbc to work because the anon login on the database was conflicting with the anon user and login he was trying to set up.

I do not know what happend but I suspect the web developer has run something that changed the login name for the dbo for that particular database to anon. He has beed playing around with ODBC stuff in VB6. I really do not know much on SQL I have sort of been pushed there from being a pc techie. It is interesting but there is just way too much too learn and no time as I still have the tech jobs as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back