Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the default community strings in a device

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookThis

Technical User
Jul 27, 2002
US
We have some devices on the network that have the default private and public community strings set that I would like to change to prevent someone from accessing them via SNMP. I'm saying that's the case because I can do a snmpset command to the devices and make some changes. According to the vendor, we will have to purchase a software utility for $100 to be able to change these values. Is there anyway to change the strings usings SNMP? I couldn't find a mib to do that, but I'm sure there is one that exists. Does anyone have any information on this? Thanks in advance!

What type of devices? Need to know that before we can provide an answer

These are devices called a devicemaster, they are basically a switch that collects environmental data and forwards that information to a server. What I want to do is ensure that no one can use snmp to make any modifications to the devices. We are in the process of putting them on their own subnet and applying ACLs, but I want to go the extra step to prevent someone for using SNMP to modify the box should someone remove the ACL inadvertently. Thanks for the response!

Sorry don't know the device. If it has a serial port for config they I would assume that you can change the settings for the community string from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back