Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the catalog for multiple reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigaucott

Technical User
Sep 5, 2003
GB
I need to re-point the catalog accessed by a few hundred reports on one of our servers.

I just wondered if anyone knows of any way to look at the catalog that is referenced by each report in a directory (via script), and then to update the catalog reference for any that need to change.

e.g. Run a script to show out of 100 reports in a folder, which ones reference Catalog A, then run another script and either use "if catalog = 'A' then catalog = 'B' else next" type logic, or even populate an array manually with the report names identified by the previous script and set the new catalog that way.

Hope someone at least understands what I need, and (hopefully) can help me out.

Thanks
Craig

Please elaborate on what you mean by "catalog" - I think this is only needed for DB2 sources. With SQL we delete the catalog property in the source in FM and it means that we can easily change the datasource in Cogno Connection to point to different servers or databases (as long as the structure is the same). What's your source?

What I mean is that in Impromptu Admin, If you open a report, then look at the "General" properties, it points to a specific catalog (e.g. F:\Impromptu\Catalogs\Live.cat)

I am looking for help with re-pointing hundreds of these reports to an alternate catalog.

I did find something that opens each report in a folder, then opens the "General" property tab and enters the new catalog location for you, but that failed for any report that had input dialogs or anything like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Catalogue is used here in the Cognos7 terminology, the predecessor of Cognos8 framework. I have little experience with Impromptu, but is it not possible to rename the new catalogue to the 'old' name?

Ties Blom

That would be the simplest solution.

Unfortunately, it is one that is unavailable to me, as the Live and the Development systems have different naming conventions.

This is why I need to look at re-pointing all of the reports instead.

Thanks
Craig

IMPROMPTU : Create a copy of the catalog so that you have catalog A and catalog B. That seems to be what you are looking for. However, you maintain 2 catalogs instead of one.

CP [cook]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back