Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change the broadcom mac address on x235!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joflizn

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
Hi everyone,

I'd like to change the mac address on my x235 server but the option doesn't seem avalaible when i get the properties of the broadcom ethernet card. I tried to update its drivers but nothing has changed. Can somebody tell me how can I get this? Is there any particular driver/software?

Thanxs lot.
Joflizn

Joflizn,

Why do you want to change your mac address? Mac addresses are burnt into the chips of the network adaptor and are unique. There are no two adaptors (theoretically) that have the same mac address. You can change your mac address either by replacing the chips or by reprogramming but neither are easy and neither make sense. If you do reprogram the chip you could render it useless as it may have a duplicate address to another mac on the internet or even on your own network. You may also stuff up the NIC of someone else.

My advice is leave them be you could destroy the NIC if you attempt to change it.

Cheers,

Pete

I Have seen the MAC address changed to reflect the machines asset id for a company.
There are two different places the MAC address is stored, on the card itself and in the Windows Registry. 90% of the time, updating the registry will fulfill the requirements most people are after (dhcp leases etc)

It is in:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NICName\Parameters\NetworkAddress

Change this key to anything you like...

Hope this helps.

Neil

The MAC address is burned into the chip itself, but you can use a Locally Administered Address (LAA) to set up your own scheme. Not a very fun realm to go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back