Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to change schema master role

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvarman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
FR
hi,
my 1st controllor windows2000 is dead (boots repeatedly).
exchange was intalled on that machine.
i'm forced to install exchange on another server,

\\cdExchange\setup.exe /forestprep or /domainprep says
it canot contact the controllor with schema master role.

when i try to change the role to the 2nd controllor, it refuses saying, it cannot pick the role because the 1st one is dead.
how can change the role? or is there any other possibility to install exchange ?

Thanks for you comments.

you need to seize the role with ntdsutil. if the dead DC held all the FSMO roles, you will need to seize them all, again using ntdsutil. do not attempt to bring the dead DC back online after this. Rebuild as an new and different server.

scottie

Hi,

Scottie is right, that is the only way to do that. Since the dead server was your first one, it will have all 5 FSMO roles (schema, domain naming, RID, and infrastructure masters and PDC emulator) unless you have transferred them. Be sure you seize them all, and BE SURE the "dead" server is never resurrected, as Scottie says.

When you use ntdsutil to seize the schema master role, you must be logged on with an account that belongs to Enterprise Administrators.

Regards,

z.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back