Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change report presentation of recordset groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreew

Programmer
May 16, 1999
US
Hi All,<br>
<br>
New to this forum, but this is a problem that's been stumping me for some time, and wanted to see if I've been looking too hard at the wrong solution.<br>
<br>
Rather than a lengthy sub-report listing matches to it's parent, I'd like a single control on a report (or sub-report) to contain all matches to the parent control, probably separated by commas.<br>
<br>
ie: No good...<br>
New York<br>
Manhattan<br>
Queens<br>
Brooklyn<br>
<br>
Good:<br>
New York<br>
Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn<br>
<br>
Any help much appreciated.<br>
<br>
Happy Holidays,<br>
Drew <br>

Write a function that returns &quot;Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn&quot; called, let's say, Strungout by opening the recordset based on the parent, looping through the recordset and stringing all the values together:<br>
<br>
Private Function StrungOut() as text<br>
dim rst as recordset, dbs as database, temp as string, strSQL as text<br>
<br>
' the following strSQL is only approximate but you get the idea, I'm sure<br>
<br>
strSQL = &quot;Select [YourFieldName] from [YourTableName] where [YourFieldName for Parent in the Table] = '&quot; & [YourControlName for the Parent in the Report] & &quot;'&quot;<br>
<br>
(I'm assuming a string value for Parent here)<br>
<br>
Set dbs = CurrentDb<br>
set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)<br>
rst.movefirst<br>
temp = &quot;&quot;<br>
while not rst.eof<br>
if len(temp)&gt;0 then<br>
temp = temp & &quot; ,&quot;<br>
endif<br>
temp = temp & rst![YourFieldName]<br>
rst.movenext<br>
wend<br>
StrungOut = temp<br>
set rst = nothing<br>
set dbs = nothing<br>
end function<br>
<br>
Then set the controlsource of the textbox in your detail section to be:<br>
=StrungOut()<br>
<br>
Note that strings have a length limit of 256 characters on them.<br>
<br>

ty for your reply, Rochelle.<br>
<br>
I tried for a couple hours today, but kept getting a user-defined type error on the &quot;...as text&quot; statements. Tried changing it to type string, but then i got an error on the 'set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenDynaset)' line about different type comparison...dang programming ain't easy!<br>

depending on the version of Access you have, you may be able to get away with variable as string * 255 instead of text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back