Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change password on L80

Status
Not open for further replies.

jester805

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2006
US
Hey guys-
I have the StorageTek L80 in a Sun environment. On the menu screen I can go through and setup the network config (IP address, gateway, etc). However, it has a bunch of asterik's in the "web password" field and it won't let me change it.

Can anyone help me in getting this reset??

Thanks.

From the L80 operators guide...

Configuring the Network

To use the Library Status Tool (a web-based library monitor), you must configure the network. The network configuration is also important for setting up the simple network management protocol (SNMP).

Access the Network Info/Cfg menu and complete the required fields as shown in the following table.
Note: Ask your system administrator for the IP address, the network gateway, and the subnet mask.

Table 2-3. Network Information/Configuration Menu (Network Info/Cfg Menu)

Library Name:
name Enter the name for the library in your network, where name is up to 11 alphanumeric characters. This name has no
effect on library operation. This name is also called the
Domain Name.

IP Address: nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Enter the address for network monitoring, where n is 0–9.
Note: You cannot assign an address such as 255.255.255.255.

Network Gateway: nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Enter the gateway connection between subnets, where n is
0–9. You require this connection only when such a
connection exists and is necessary for library operation.

Subnet Mask: nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
Enter this data to make the library accessible through a
subnet on a larger network, where n is 0–9. Enter this
information only when applicable.

Web Password: The default is horizon.
To change the password, press the SELECT button, and use the arrows to change each letter.

Ethernet Address nn.nn.nn.nn.nn.nn
The Ethernet address is set automatically.
Note: If you change any of the Network configuration values, and you press the MENU button to exit
the configuration menu, the status display will show Needing Lib Reset: SELECT to RESET the Library. Press the SELECT button to reset the library.

Yeah, I read the guide and saw those instructions. However, when I try to modify the web password, it won't let me me. I push "Select" but nothing happens.

Do you have a Personality module installed?
View its status, see if the feature list shows
library status or library admin

Hmmmmmm...

Can you access the unit via ethernet with the default password?

I can bring it up in a web browser and it will show the library status. However, it will not let me upload a new code without the password. I tried using the default password, but it won't let me.

In the shipping group in the 19 inch racking area you should find an rj45 to db9 converter. Use it and a bit of CAT5 to connect to the CSE connector at the back of the machine. Use Hyperterminal with 38000 baud (or auto baud) with no flow control. Hit enter to get a CLI> prompt. type 'help all' for a list of commands. You will see the facility to change the web password. Type 'help passeord' for help with the syntax.

I can't get to an L40/L80 machine at the momment to verify this works but I've seen this password reset command on the L180/L700 CLI> prompt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back