Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change NDR message ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J741

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
CA
When Exchange can not deliver an email, an NDR is generated and sent to the originating e-mail. I would like to know how to change the contents and layout of the NDR so that it is a little more user-friendly.

I am not very familiar with the inner workings of exchange, so I'm not even sure if this can be done. I can't find NDR settings anywhere in Exchange Administrator.

What's been happenening is that we use Exchange for our public email on a small business network consisting of about 7 computers. One user constantly recieves NDRs (10 to 20 per day) informing him that his message to someone could not be delivered, even though he did not actually send anything in the first place. I have checked his computer for trojans, virii, adware, and anything that might be sending e-mail on his behalf, but have not found anything.

So, I would like to change the NDR in Exchange so that it also contains the source IP address of the original sender.

Is this possible?

- James.

Are you sure it's your mail server that's responsible for sending the NDR's? It kinda sounds like a virus on someone else's computer outside your company is sending out E-mails to this other domain and has spoofed your employee's E-mail address. We see these all the time, with auto generated responses from other company's mail servers telling us an E-mail from one of our receipents could not be delivered, when in fact they never sent anything in the first place. When viewing the contents of these NDR's, it's always been the typical viruses (especially the last several months!). Or, we'll get an actual virus infected E-mail itself that's mimicking an NDR, from an infection on someone else's computer that happens to have your employee's E-mail in their address book.

The NDR is definitely being generated by our own mail server, which is why I would like to add the source IP of the originating message to the NDR, so that I can try and locate the true sorce of the problem.

- James.

If you open outlook, right click the NDR and select options, when you scroll down the bottom dialog box you will/should see the originating IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back