Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change Limited account rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

miha

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
SI
Hello!

When I instaled Win XP I created one admin an one limited account (for my mother ;) ).
But now I have problems with some of applications instaled on my computer - they run OK under admin account, but under limitec acc. they report some fatal errors and won´t run. I allready delete an recreate accounts - no difrence.
So can anybody tell me how to modify limited accounr rights to avoide errors and problems.
THNX!

Some ideas

1. Determine which software is crashing on the limited account, then look on:
Microsoft Knowledgebase
Software vendors site
This maybe a common issue that they have either a software or configutation fix for.

2. Are you installing the software logged on as Administrator?

3. Is the software that crashes supported on XP?

4. As a last resort you could use the "Run As" option to run the programs that crash as the Administrator. This does have security implications though i.e limited user running as Administrator!

5. Turn on security auditing so that you can see in the event log where the program crashes are caused by security issues.

6. Do you have the latest updates/service packs for XP.

Reading this article in Help and Support would be a good starting point.

"Why you should not run your computer as an administrator"

Follow the links from the article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back