Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change date format for the condition which involves a calculation ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

estersita

Technical User
Aug 5, 2004
US
Dear Experts,

I want to set the condition where dte_received is between today date and the date 12 months ago.So far I tried the following statement:
WHERE dte_received between (sysdate,-12) and sysdate; (at which System generated an error message)

I run the following:
SELECT SYSDATE FROM dual (which looks like 5/7/2018 10:49:07 AM)
&
SELECT dte_received FROM MYTABLE (looks like 20171213)

How can I change dte_received format in order my statement above would work?

Thank you in advance!

Estersita

suggest you check the Oracle TO_DATE function.

You will need to reformat the SYSDATE, your dte_received, or both in order to compare "apples to apples".

As of now, you are comparing an Oracle "date" data type to the data type of dte_received, which is either a number or a character string, but NOT an Oracle "date".

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

Try
Code:
WHERE dte_received BETWEEN add_months(sysdate,-12) AND sysdate
This assumes that dte_received is a DATE datatype.

carp,

I tried to do it but get an error ORA-00932: inconsistent datatypes: expected NUMBER got DATE

Actually for SYSDATE it is for sure ( 5/7/2018 10:49:07 AM) . As for dte_received it looks like a string 20171213.
I tried to convert but failed. This is my problem as I am new in Oracle.

Could you please give me a hand?

Thank you for you help!

Estersita

WHERE to_date(dte_received,'YYYYMMDD') BETWEEN add_months(TRUNC(sysdate),-12) AND TRUNC(sysdate)

The TRUNC removes the time element and the older date must be first in the between clause

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back