Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change COM port address

Status
Not open for further replies.

nino954

Programmer
Apr 29, 2001
IT
On my computer, HP Vectra VL 5/133 series 4, with Windows 98 SE, there are 2 Serial Ports: Port A (=COM1, addres 03F8 IRQ 4) and Port B (=COM2, address 02F8 IRQ 3).
I use a software - which works fine - to manage the POS (point-of-sales) and is connected to the Cash register throu port A (address 03F8).
For some reason, port A doesn't work anymore.
Since it is not possible redirect the software to port B, I have tried to invert the address of the ports, in order to direct port A to address 02F8 IRQ3 and port B to address 03F8 IRQ4.
I did it in the BIOS successfully but then, as soon as Windows starts, it re-change the addresses.

Can someone help me?

Many thanks.

Nino Frezza, Italy

Remove the COM port in Device Manager, reboot the machine, then set the required values in the BIOS. When you next start Windows, it should re-create the COM port based on the new values.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back