Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change bios for new hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyaz

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I just installed a new 12 gig hdd in a Toshiba 2805 satellite notebook. The original hdd was a 6 gig. Now my recovery cd will not load because the computer is apparently telling it that it needs a 6 gig hdd. I called toshiba and they told me to change the hdd bios settings. I have attempted but without success. Any info on how tos would be great. Thanks.

At boot, look for something on the screen telling you what key to press to enter setup - probably Delete, Esc, F1, F10 or some other. Be careful what you change in the bios - look for an autodect option for your hard drive.

Actually, MikeYaz's problem seems to be that the Recover CD will only recover back to the original (or a like-sized) Hard Drive. I'd say the problem is with Toshiba's recovery CD not being smart enough to work with anything other than the "original equipment" setup.

I don't think MikeYaz wants to "trick" his BIOS into thinking that he has only a 6GB HD - perhaps the better option is to partition the new drive into two parts, making sure the first partition is the EXACT same size as the original 6GB HD. That might be good enough for the recovery CD to go on.

Jim
Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

That's what I was going to suggest also, but figured it would be best to try toshiba's suggestion first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back